User Experience Manager | Qualtrics | 2016-Present
- Manage team of UX researcher and design professionals.
- Responsible for Qualtrics' user research program; designed and oversaw Qualtrics UX research baseline and monitoring program.
- Responsible for personnel management, talent acquisition, and resource planning.
Advisory Board | Human-Centered Design, U of Washington | 2016-Present
- Serve on the U of Washington Department of Human-Centered Design Advisory Board in a two year appointment.
- Graduation speaker for U of Washington Dept. of Human-Centered Design class of 2017.
User Experience Manager | Alaska Airlines | 2014-2016
- Managed Alaska Airline's team of 12 UX and VX designers/researchers.
- Responsible for the design of Alaska's $2.5B+ e-commerce site alaskaair.com; oversaw a comprehensive site redesign.
- Interim manager for Alaska's self-service team, in charge of iOS and Android apps, and airport kiosks.
- Responsible for the visual design of major sale creative; launched a coordinated, cross-channel rebranding of Alaska's digital experiences.
- Propose, monitor, and respond to A/B test results; oversee site usability testing (more than 500 customers in 1 year).
- Responsible for UX/VX personnel management, talent acquisition, and resource planning
User Experience Manager | Amazon.com | 2014
- Manage an international team of 12 UX designers and researchers (9 direct, 3 dotted-line) in support of Amazon's "Your Account," "Your Orders," "Help," "Contact Us" and internal Customer Relationship Management tools.
- Manage the user experience of those properties across desktop and mobile and internationally.
- Expanded UX research program to Asia and Europe.
- Mentor to 1 UX manager, 1 UX researcher and 1 research intern.
Sr. User Experience Researcher | Amazon.com | 2013-2014
- Conducted user experience research to improve customers' experience with key features of the Amazon.com site and set product direction.
- Created low fidelity interaction design concepts and conducted user research for internal tools.
- Spearheaded the use of RITE and guerrilla research methods & co-created the Customer Service user research program.
- Mentor to 1 UX designer and 1 UX intern.
User Experience Associate Technical Fellow | The Boeing Company | 2011-2013
- Set enterprise software design direction and led user experience teams as an Associate Technical Fellow, a designation awarded to the top 2% of Boeing employees
- Provided UX leadership on various enterprise projects: Led 4 user researchers in a mixed-methods usability evaluation of software used to design aircraft; Led a 3 person team in creating a vision for Boeing's airplane manufacturing software; led a 10 person team in the creation of Boeing’s mobile and desktop software style guides.
- Mentored 3 user experience professionals and a Carnegie Mellon Human-Computer Interaction graduate student capstone team
- Received Boeing's top annual performance rating ("exemplary") for 2 years. Fewer than 10% of employees receive this rating
- Awarded 1 US patent, 4 Boeing Achievement awards, 4 Boeing Accomplishment awards, and 3 Boeing Appreciation awards for outstanding performance
Instructor: Human-Centered Design and Engineering | U. of Washington | 2013
Led 50 undergraduates through user experience theory, research, and design projects while working full-time at Boeing.
Sr. User Experience Designer | The Boeing Company | 2007-2010
- Led a 25 person team in a user-centered redesign of Boeing’s employee and supplier portals, using contextual inquiry, interviewing, A/B usability testing, low- and high-fidelity prototyping
- Led 7 researchers in a contextual inquiry of the 787 production line to identify opportunities for increased production
- Led an 8 person team in the creation of Boeing's Web Applications and Portals style guide; the guide had more than 5,000 downloads in the first 8 months of its existence (award)
- Mentored 6 professionals and graduate students in user-centered design, research techniques, and leadership
- Led a 6 person team in the design of a web delivery system for Boeing’s employee services, using stakeholder interviews, user research, personas, and prototyping
- Co-developed a enterprise authentication tool; Developed the user interface for MyTelecom (featured in Boeing Frontiers).
- Mentored 3 Boeing employees in user-centered design
- Awarded 7 Boeing Achievement awards, 7 Boeing Accomplishment awards, 5 Boeing Appreciation awards for performance; awarded 1 cash award for leadership on a 25 person, year-long design project
Human Factors Specialist | The Boeing Company | 2005-2007
- Conducted user research, usability testing, and prototyping for Boeing’s hiring system
- Researched and designed Boeing’s pay and benefits statement (featured in Boeing Frontiers)
- Developed UI specifications for internet, intranet and handheld applications and oversaw and conducted qualitative and quantitative user research
- Awarded 1 Boeing Achievement award, and 3 Boeing Accomplishment awards for outstanding performance
Web Specialist / Technical Communicator | FMC Technologies | 1998-2005
- Helped design & implement a web content management system.
- Helped envision, research, design, launch, and manage an international aftermarket e-commerce site (read a 2002 article about the site). Site localized for the USA, Germany, Sweden, Spain, Brazil, Japan, Canada, and the UK.
- Oversaw a comprehensive redesign of the corporation's Web presence (www.jbtfoodtech.com; site design--and corporate name--has changed since my departure).
- Conducted usability studies on company intranet sites, internet sites, and software applications
- Generated low- & high-fidelity prototypes of websites, web services, applications and control panels
- Managed company website and oversaw a comprehensive site redesign
- Letter of Recommendation for my work at FMC Technologies
Ph.D. | Human-Centered Design & Engineering | U. of Washington
- Designed an environmental impact labeling system for consumer goods (advisor: Dr. David Farkas)
- Received departmental award for academic excellence
- GPA: 3.9/4.0 while working full time at Boeing
Master's | Human-Centered Design & Engineering | U. of Washington
GPA: 3.8/4.0 while working full time at FMC Technologies
Bachelor's | Education | Arizona State University
Dean’s list 1995-97
- Amazon Customer Service "Roots" leadership training (2013)
- Cooper Visual Interface Design workshop (2008)
- Cooper Interaction Design workshop (2010)
- Boeing Leadership Forum, a nomination-based training program for prospective managers and executives
professional memberships & service.
- Graduation speaker, U of Washington Human-Centered Design & Engineering. 2017.
- Mentor, Women in UX (XX + UX). 2017
- Boeing focal for Georgia Tech to recruit top talent from that school. 2012-13
- Boeing focal for University of Washington Department of Human-Centered Design & Engineering to recruit top talent from that department. 2010-13
- Mentor for Carnegie Mellon Human-Computer Interaction graduate student capstone. 2013
- Reviewer for Technical Communication
- Reviewer for Usability Professionals Association (UPA). 2011
- Larson, J. (2017). "Case Study: Creating a UX Monitoring Program via In-Product Surveys." Submitted for publication.
- Larson, J. (2017). "On Becoming a UX Manager: New Skills, Requirements, and Rewards." User Experience magazine, September 2017.
- Larson, J., Lindhout, D. (2017). "Monitoring User Experience Through Product Usage Metrics." Boxes and Arrows, July 16, 2017.
- Larson, J., Lindhout, D. (2017). "Advice to Candidates on Successful UX Interview Loops." UXmatters.com, Jan 9, 2017.
- Larson, J. (2011). “Towards More Usable IT Systems.” Internal White Paper, The Boeing Company.
- Larson, J., Hocko, J., Bye, R. (2010). “User-Centered Procurement: A Method for Evaluating the Usability of ‘Off-The-Shelf’ Enterprise Software.” User Experience. Volume 9, Issue 1, 2010
- Larson, J., Farkas, D. (2011) “Indicating Impact: The Environmental Life-Cycle Rating Label.” Proceedings of the IEEE Professional Communication Society, 2011.
- Farkas, D. Larson, J., Naranjo, S., (2011) “LabelPatterns.Org: A comprehensive pattern library for environmental and consumer decision labels,” Proceedings of the IEEE Professional Communication Society, 2011.
- Larson, J. (2008). “Absent, Undefined, and Devalued: Usability in Technology Research Firm Software Evaluations.” User Experience. Volume 7, Issue 1, 2008
- Larson, J. (2007). “Out of the Video Arcade, into the Office: Where Computer Games Can Lead Productivity Software.” ACM interactions. Volume 14, Issue 1, January-February 2007 Used in TC407 curriculum at University of Washington
- Larson, J. (2009). Indicating Impact: The Design of an Environmental Impact Labeling System for Consumer Goods. Dissertation. Used in HCDE 510 curriculum at University of Washington
- Larson, J. (2008). “Limited Imagination: Depictions of Computers in Science Fiction Film.” Futures, 40 (2008), 293-299
- Larson, J. (2004). “Lessons in Internationalization.” Intercom. May. 10-11. Used in Internationalization curriculum at University of Limerick, Ireland
- Larson, J, Birge, C., Huang, Y.M., Sattler, B., Turns, J., Yellin, J. (2008). “Directed Research Groups as a Means of Training Students to Become Technical Communication Researchers.” Technical Communication, May, 2009, pg. 172-177
- Yellin, J., Huang, Yi-Min, Sattler, B., Turns, J., Birge, C., Larson, J. (2007). “The Real World: A Factor That Engineering Faculty Consider In Making Decisions About Teaching.” In Proceedings of the 2007 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November. Session number IMECE2007-42288
sample conference posters and presentations.
- Larson, J. (2017). Grad Student Careers in User Research. Invited to a University of Washington roundtable discussion on how grad students can start UX Research careers.
- Larson, J (2017) "NDAs and UX Research Portfolios." Invited presentation for a University of Washington workshop on UX Research portfolios.
- Larson, J (2016). "Managing the Big Bang: Lessons-Learned from a Site Redesign." Invited presentation for ConveyUX 2016, Seattle, WA.
- Larson, J (2015). "Personal Story: Tech Writing to UX Manager." Invited presentation for Puget Sound Society for Technical Communication, Bellevue, WA.
- Larson, J. (2013). “Think Big, Bias for Action.” Invited presentation for Amazon Customer Service Support Services' All-Hands, Seattle, WA.
- Larson, J. (2013). “Creativity and Innovation in User Experience .” Invited presentation for Boeing Creativity and Innovation Forum, Seattle, WA.
- Larson, J. (2009). “The Design of an Environmental Impact Labeling System for Consumer Goods.” Invited presentation for TC521 in the University of Washington’s Department of Human Centered Design & Engineering, Seattle, WA. December 10, 2009
- Larson, J.(2009). “Gestalt Principles and Their Application to UI design.” Presented to ~400 Boeing IT employees as part of the November, 2009 Usability Special Interest Group
- Larson, J. (2007). “Adaptive Software User Experiences: An Integrated Approach.” Poster presented at IEEE Professional Communication Society, Seattle, WA, October 1-3
- Carthum, M., Coney, M., Larson, J., Lee, S. E., Pletcher, A., Sands, Y., Zachry, M. (2007). “Transformations: Technology, Theory and Technical Communication.” Poster presented at the Puget Sound Research and Design Showcase meeting of the Society for Technical Communication, Seattle, WA
- Birge, C., Gygi, K., Goldberg, E., Huang, Y., Larson, J., Loetel, B., Rosales, R., Sattler, B., Turns, J., Yellin, J. (2007). “Teaching decisions: What do engineering educators say?” Poster presented at the meeting of the American Society of Engineering Education, Pacific North West Chapter, Pullman, WA
Letters of recommendation can be found here.
Download a copy of my resume in PDF format.