Download a copy of my resume in PDF format.
User Experience Manager | Qualtrics | 2016-Present
- Responsible for the design of the Customer Experience product line.
- Manage team of UX researcher and design professionals.
- Responsible for Qualtrics' user research program; designed and oversaw Qualtrics' UX monitoring system.
- Responsible for personnel management, talent acquisition, and resource planning.
Advisory Board | Human-Centered Design, U of Washington | 2016-Present
- Serve on the Advisory Board in a two year appointment while working full time at Qualtrics.
- External reviewer of Master's degree applications.
- Graduation speaker for U of Washington Dept. of Human-Centered Design class of 2017.
User Experience Manager | Alaska Airlines | 2014-2016
- Head of user experience & responsible for the design of Alaska's $2.5B+ e-commerce site alaskaair.com; oversaw a comprehensive site redesign.
- Interim manager for Alaska's self-service team, in charge of iOS and Android apps, and airport kiosks.
- Managed Alaska Airline's team of 12 UX and VX designers/researchers.
- Responsible for the visual design of major sale creative; launched a coordinated, cross-channel rebranding of Alaska's digital experiences.
- Proposed, monitored, and responded to A/B test results; oversaw site usability testing (more than 500 customers in 1 year).
- Responsible for UX/VX personnel management, talent acquisition, and resource planning
User Experience Manager | Amazon.com | 2014
- Responsible for the design of Amazon's "Your Orders," "Your Account," "Help," "Contact Us" across all devices and in all countries; also responsible for the design of Amazon's internal Customer Relationship Management tools.
- Manage an international team of 12 UX designers and researchers (9 direct, 3 indirect).
- Expanded UX research program to Asia and Europe.
- Mentor to 1 UX manager, 1 UX researcher and 1 research intern.
Sr. User Experience Researcher | Amazon.com | 2013-2014
- Conducted user experience research to improve customers' experience with key features of the Amazon.com site and set product direction.
- Created low fidelity interaction design concepts and conducted user research for internal tools.
- Spearheaded the use of RITE and guerrilla research methods & co-created the Customer Service user research program.
- Mentor to 1 UX designer and 1 UX intern.
User Experience Associate Technical Fellow | The Boeing Company | 2011-2013
- Set enterprise software design direction and led user experience teams as an Associate Technical Fellow, a designation awarded to the top 2% of Boeing employees
- Provided UX leadership on various design projects: Led a 3 person team in creating a vision for Boeing's airplane manufacturing software; Led 4 user researchers in a mixed-methods usability evaluation of software used to design aircraft;led a 10 person team in the creation of Boeing’s mobile and desktop software style guides.
- Mentored 3 user experience professionals and a Carnegie Mellon Human-Computer Interaction graduate student capstone team
- Received Boeing's top annual performance rating ("exemplary") for 2 years. Fewer than 10% of employees receive this rating
- Awarded 1 US patent, 4 Boeing Achievement awards, 4 Boeing Accomplishment awards, and 3 Boeing Appreciation awards for outstanding performance
Instructor: Human-Centered Design and Engineering | U. of Washington | 2013
Led 50 undergraduates through user experience theory, research, and design projects while working full-time at Boeing.
Sr. User Experience Designer | The Boeing Company | 2007-2010
- Led a 25 person team in a user-centered redesign of Boeing’s employee and supplier portals, using contextual inquiry, interviewing, A/B usability testing, low- and high-fidelity prototyping
- Led 7 researchers in a contextual inquiry of the 787 production line to identify opportunities for increased production
- Led an 8 person team in the creation of Boeing's Web Applications and Portals style guide; the guide had more than 5,000 downloads in the first 8 months of its existence (award)
- Mentored 6 professionals and graduate students in user-centered design, research techniques, and leadership
- Led a 6 person team in the design of a web delivery system for Boeing’s employee services, using stakeholder interviews, user research, personas, and prototyping
- Co-developed a enterprise authentication tool; Developed the user interface for MyTelecom (featured in Boeing Frontiers).
- Mentored 3 Boeing employees in user-centered design
- Awarded 7 Boeing Achievement awards, 7 Boeing Accomplishment awards, 5 Boeing Appreciation awards for performance; awarded 1 cash award for leadership on a 25 person, year-long design project
Human Factors Specialist | The Boeing Company | 2005-2007
- Conducted user research, usability testing, and prototyping for Boeing’s hiring system
- Researched and designed Boeing’s pay and benefits statement (featured in Boeing Frontiers)
- Developed UI specifications for internet, intranet and handheld applications and oversaw and conducted qualitative and quantitative user research
- Awarded 1 Boeing Achievement award, and 3 Boeing Accomplishment awards for outstanding performance
Web Specialist / Technical Communicator | FMC Technologies | 1998-2005
- Helped design & implement a web content management system.
- Helped envision, research, design, launch, and manage an international aftermarket e-commerce site (read a 2002 article about the site). Site localized for the USA, Germany, Sweden, Spain, Brazil, Japan, Canada, and the UK.
- Oversaw a comprehensive redesign of the corporation's Web presence (www.jbtfoodtech.com; site design--and corporate name--has changed since my departure).
- Conducted usability studies on company intranet sites, internet sites, and software applications
- Generated low- & high-fidelity prototypes of websites, web services, applications and control panels
- Managed company website and oversaw a comprehensive site redesign
- Letter of Recommendation for my work at FMC Technologies
Ph.D. | Human-Centered Design & Engineering | U. of Washington
- Designed an environmental impact labeling system for consumer goods (advisor: Dr. David Farkas)
- Received departmental award for academic excellence
- GPA: 3.9/4.0 while working full time at Boeing
Master's | Human-Centered Design & Engineering | U. of Washington
GPA: 3.8/4.0 while working full time at FMC Technologies
Bachelor's | Education | Arizona State University
Dean’s list 1995-97
- Amazon Customer Service "Roots" leadership training (2013)
- Cooper Visual Interface Design workshop (2008)
- Cooper Interaction Design workshop (2010)
- Boeing Leadership Forum, a nomination-based training program for prospective managers and executives
professional memberships & service.
- Graduation speaker, U of Washington Human-Centered Design & Engineering. 2017.
- Mentor, Women in UX (XX + UX). 2017
- Boeing focal for Georgia Tech to recruit top talent from that school. 2012-13
- Boeing focal for University of Washington Department of Human-Centered Design & Engineering to recruit top talent from that department. 2010-13
- Mentor for Carnegie Mellon Human-Computer Interaction graduate student capstone. 2013
- Reviewer for Technical Communication
- Reviewer for Usability Professionals Association (UPA). 2011
Letters of recommendation can be found here.